Friday, January 1, 2010

Day -7

Last Labor Day, my sister and I were driving through downtown Bothell in the midst of some kind of running event. Traffic was diverted and we had to wind through all of the back streets to avoid the runners. I was mostly annoyed, but not terribly, when my sister pipes up, "let's do this run next year!" This may not seem like a strange thing for sisters to say to one another but it was for us. We don't exercise. More than that, I detest running. So, it was even more strange to hear myself respond to her comment with a "sure, sounds great." I don't know what came over me but in that instant, I felt like I commited myself and I haven't thought once since then that I won't do it. I have been reading about running and mentally preparing for this event since then and I will take my first run on Thursday.

My sister, Amy, and I will be participating in the Super Jock 'n Jill Half Marathon this coming Labor day. I thought about creating this blog so that I would have a fun way to document this experience but as I prepare to hit send on this first entry, I realize that I am really commiting to this. I can't post something on the internet for all to see and not follow through, right? Amy may join me in contributing to this blog or she may start her own, I'm not sure. Either way, I expect this to be fun (at least for me) to look back when the run is over to see how I transformed from couch potato (yes, I eat ice cream while I watch Biggest Loser) to marathon runner (okay, 1/2) in the next nine months. Check in after Thursday when I write about how Day 1 goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment